Iran are expected to participate in World Cup 2026 after several months of uncertainty, as their talks with a FIFA delegation led by secretary general Mattias Grafstrom in Istanbul, Turkey, last weekend were reportedly productive.
The two sides met on Saturday amid continued uncertainty over Iran’s World Cup participation, given the ongoing war in the Middle East that includes the United States and Israel, with the nations currently in a ceasefire. The United States are among the three co-hosts of the quadrennial event, and Iran are scheduled to play all three of their group stage matches there.
While Iran are likely to join the festivities, the same can’t be said for some of the world’s biggest footballing stars, as their teams have omitted them due to ill-timed injuries. Meanwhile, one of Japan’s all-timers is set to achieve a personal milestone.
Here are some of the notable World Cup 2026 updates, courtesy of SBOTOP.
Iran start to prepare for the World Cup
Iran were supposed to have those talks earlier than last weekend. However, Iran Football Federation (FFIRI) president Mehdi Taj was denied entry to Canada for last month’s FIFA Congress due to his previous service in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), an elite branch of Iran’s military that is considered a terrorist group in both the United States and Canada.
Earlier this month, Taj said that Iran has 10 conditions for competing in the quadrennial tournament, including permitting players and staff who have served in the IRGC to travel to the United States and requiring the presence of the team flag and national anthem at the event. The FFIRI also wanted an increased security detail throughout the competition. Taj said the meeting in Istanbul was constructive because FIFA expressed willingness to ease his concerns.
Team Melli are in Group G alongside Belgium, Egypt, and New Zealand, and they are an outside contender for a Top 2 spot. But despite the pessimistic World Cup 2026 odds, Iran are going all-in, and head coach Amir Ghalenoei named a 30-man preliminary roster on Saturday.
Iran will face Gambia in a pre-tournament friendly in Antalya, Turkey, on May 29 before flying to Tucson, Arizona, to set up their barracks. They will kick off their World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15.
Notable absences for some of the contenders
Several countries have also announced their preliminary World Cup roster, and many fans pointed out that some of the biggest stars will miss the quadrennial event due to injuries.
Brazil suffered a massive blow with the absence of Rodrygo, Eder Militao, and Estevao due to leg injuries. The Samba Boyz are in Group C alongside Morocco, Haiti, and Scotland, but they are still favoured to advance to the knockout stage.
The injury also bit the Netherlands badly. Manchester United centre-back Matthijs de Ligt recently confirmed he had back surgery after a five-month hiatus, and Tottenham playmaker Xavi Simons tore his ACL on his right knee against Wolves last month. The Oranje are in Group F with Japan, Sweden, and Tunisia.

France will be without Liverpool striker Hugo Ekitike, who ruptured his Achilles tendon during the Champions League quarter-finals. Les Bleus will also miss the services of Eduardo Camavinga, Randal Kolo Muani, Eli Junior Kroupi, Florian Thauvin, Corentin Tolisso, Pierre Kalulu, and Khephren Thuram.
Defending champions Argentina will be without centre-back Juan Foyth, while Mexico, one of the tournament’s host nations, will be without No. 1 goalkeeper Luis Angel Malagon. Germany are also without Serge Gnabry, as the Bayern Munich winger suffered a serious muscular injury in April.
Spain also lost striker Samu Omorodion, while they’re still monitoring the statuses of Lamine Yamal, Mikel Merino, and Nico Williams.
Nagatomo set to make World Cup history
Japanese full-back Yuto Nagatomo is set to become the first Asian player to play in five World Cups after he was included in the Samurai Blue’s preliminary World Cup roster. The 39-year-old will join the select group of Gianluigi Buffon, Guillermo Ochoa, Antonio Carbajal, Andres Guardado, and Rafael Marquez, who have achieved this feat.
Nagatomo is part of the team because of his wealth of experience, having played for Inter Milan, Galatasaray, and Marseille in Europe before joining his current club, Tokyo FC, in the J1 League. He broke down in tears after learning he’ll represent Japan on the biggest stage this year, which exhibits his undying love for the country. Japan are in Group F, and they’re one of the top contenders for a Top 2 spot. The Samurai Blue have reached the Round of 16 in the past two World Cups.
●●●
CHECK OUT OUR BLOG FOR MORE FOOTBALL STORIES & ODDS
Stay updated with everything sports and betting.


